The Hoot - Episode 25 - IBM with Pratik Gupta, CTO, Distinguished Engineer, Chief Architect Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management, and Morten Gram, Humio EVP
How Humio and IBM are working together to deliver streaming observability at scale to more customers around the globe
May 19th, 2020
John visits with Pratik Gupta, CTO & IBM Distinguished Engineer for IBM Hybrid Cloud Management, and Chief Architect of IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management, and Morten Gram, Humio EVP, to talk about this IBM original equipment manufacturing (OEM) agreement and the value it will bring to customers. The companies will collaborate on solutions that help clients continually ingest streaming data across their infrastructure, and help identify a variety of problems from application service down-time to cyberattacks.
“One of the most interesting aspects of Humio I found was its unique architecture that allowed it to be very high performant and scale to enterprise needs. So that got me more interested in learning about Humio and its capabilities and how to actually work with our enterprise clients, both who are on the cloud and on premises.”
IBM CTO, Distinguished Engineer, Chief Architect Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management
Read more about the announcement: Humio accelerates its momentum with extended collaboration with IBM.
Before addressing the OEM announcement, Pratik explains his initial interest in Humio, and what led to it becoming part of the IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management. He describes how Humio contributes to the overall function of the Cloud Pak.
“It’s really part of an overall hybrid cloud management control plane which is bringing together all aspects of visibility and governance and automation for our platform. So Humio is a great fit working for Cloud Pak for Multicloud Management.”
Pratik and Morten explain the nature of the OEM Agreement, and how it builds on the existing relationship between the two companies to provide opportunities for both as they grow.
“We’re announcing an expansion of the partnership with IBM... The two companies are going to get closer and IBM is going to work even more with Humio and expand Humio’s usage out to different areas of IBM.”
Humio, Executive Vice President
After working through the implications of the news, we pick Pratik’s brain about the nature of Hybrid Cloud environments and get his opinion on how to optimize them. He calls attention to the fact that though many enterprise clients have begun a migration to the cloud, many of them have stalled in transition and kept the majority of their workload off the cloud.
"There was a study done by IBM Institute for Business value study, which said 90% of the companies globally are on the cloud, but only 20% or so of their core workloads have moved to the cloud. What’s really holding up the rest of the 80% of the enterprise workloads is the ability to manage this environment end-to-end. And that really is the issue going forward.”
Pratik explains the way forward for these hybrid use cases by implementing a consistent runtime such as Red Hat OpenShift and high-quality monitoring tools. Morten shares how Humio is one of these tools that boosts observability by enabling users to store data for up to years, monitor data in real time, and create a data-driven culture where live answers lead to more questions and discovery. Pratik explains why this is so useful.
“Now we have the ability to have a tool which looks across these cloud environments across the applications and provides a single pane of glass and that is the IBM Cloud Pak for Multicloud management. And really having that consistent runtime and consistent management gives them the underpinnings of truly accelerating their development in the hybrid cloud environment.”
From there, Pratik breaks down how the value of logs is growing as more customers implement Kubernetes systems which require assistance from log management to meet complex compliance requirements and expanded operations capacities. To further explain the transformative value of logs, Pratik unpacks a couple of use case examples of organizations implementing log management in cloud environments.
Finally, Pratik and Morten share their thoughts on how log management’s potential to contribute debugging help in the growing fields of AIOps and edge computing.
Hear all of Pratik and Morten’s insights into the value of Humio within IBM’s hybrid cloud support offerings by listening to the complete podcast.